Sales Director (Public Sector)
Salary: Circa Â£100,000 basic (Â£200,000 OTE)
Our client is a subsidiary of a charity, which is the UK’s leading body in digital strategic thinking and advanced delivery for the UK’s research, education and skills sectors.
The organisation has an annual turnover of over £150m and possesses highly valued assets such as a world leading digital network, one of the most advanced in the UK, and with the capacity to grow to respond to increased data flows, new technology developments and changing customer needs.
The subsidiary has been created with the clear purpose of generating significant new revenues by selling existing assets to a wider customer base, initially across public enterprise and then as appropriate to other commercial operators.
A business case has been made to set up the company but this now needs to be converted into sales over the next 24 months. This will be achieved by focusing on a limited number of larger opportunities and closing significant sales in the next 12 months as well as developing a robust pipeline for the future.
This is a senior position working directly with the CEO as well as senior colleagues in the parent company. It is a key role and provides a positive leadership and hands-on opportunity for progression for a highly motivated and experienced person in and agile focused environment.
The Sales Director is leader of a small cross company group where the culture must be one of energy, passion, teamwork and collaboration with a real desire to achieve the mission. It is important that to have the appetite to work in and nurture this type of environment leveraging the support of the highly skilled technical team who may have limited experienced of working in a fully commercial environment
- Working directly with the CEO to ensure that the correct sales/performance measures and processes are in place to ensure that sales targets to be met.
- Working closely with the CEO, Executive Director (parent company), CFO (parent company) and the Board to devise and implement the company's sales strategy.
- Determining annual unit and gross-profit plans by implementing marketing strategies; analysing trends and results.
- Being a hands on leader who is prepared to lead from the front and actively develop and close sales.
- Taking full responsibility for the sales function and implement action plans to ensure the required growth in new markets.
- Working closely with the marketing and press teams to devise and implement the marketing plans to support the sales activity.
- Providing strong leadership, support and direction and ensure that our client is able to optimise all opportunities and provide accurate forecasts of potential business.
- Maintain sales volume, appropriate product mix, and selling price by keeping current with supply and demand, changing trends, economic indicators, and competitors as well as state aid considerations.
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing and developing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Developing strategic and tactical partnership arrangements with other technology providers and system integrators that result in sales.
Skills, Knowledge & Experience
The ideal person in this role will have a demonstrable track record of high performance in: setting and meeting sales goals, business negotiation, selling to customer needs, sales planning, relationship building, managing processes, and target market knowledge.
- Strong track record in telecom sales to public enterprise
- Significant sales management experience
- Clear understanding of telecommunication networks, network services and their providers across the UK landscape.
- Awareness of European public procurement regulations
- Understanding of selling commercial product into public sector/enterprise
- Strong political judgement with the ability to balance a driven commercial attitude with sensitivity to the ethos of an educational charity
- Highly target driven
- Able to influence at the highest organisational levels.
- Have excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Ability and desire to develop the team
The company benefits from significant resources and experiences offered by being a well established business.This is a particularly exciting time for the business as it continues to build on its success. There are significant opportunities for the business to further develop its strong customer relationships, capabilities, services and continue to lead in its marketplace.
This senior management appointment will enjoy significant levels of autonomy. The successful appointee will be expected to take a lead role, with the support of the Directors and other Senior Managers, for the strategic as well as commercial success and development of the business.
The successful candidate will enjoy a stimulating and rewarding high profile role within a genuinely exciting and respected business.
This job has now been successfully concluded.