|Our client is a highly successful and well established international scientific, medical and business media publishing company. The company develops, manages and disseminates key knowledge through books, e-books, journals and the Internet. The business provides Researchers in Academia, Industry Professionals, Scientific Institutions and Corporate R&D Departments with quality content.
The company has a key requirement to appoint a Sales Director for one of its major print businesses.
The Director will have responsibility for all trade sales in the EMEA area and will work closely with the Vice President of Sales, to develop and implement all sales strategies related to Trade Sales. The individual will develop and maintain excellent relationships with all key customers, both from a sales and service standpoint. The Director will develop a strategic plan to achieve all revenue targets; both individual account targets and total overall target. They will work with all related departments as necessary.
The core role and responsibilities of this person will include the following:
- Management of activities to achieve sales budget for all trade sales accounts in the EMEA region – revenue is close to €30 Million
- Development of a 1 year/5 year strategic sales plan targeted at the trade market in the EMEA region
- Working closely with editorial to communicate sales histories and market feedback
- Liaison with inventory/warehouse management to ensure proper stock levels
- Working with marketing on all marketing related functions, including any co-op marketing programs with key accounts
- Attendance at key conventions targeted at Trade customers
- Management of all related expense budgets assigned to the group
There are circa 10 direct reports based throughout Germany, France, Italy and the UK. These employees include a Senior Sales Manager, 2 Sales Managers and 2 Sales Assistants.
Skills and experience:
- Substantial sales or vendor management experience in the publishing sector - preferably at Director level in the EMEA trade market
- Must have print/books sales experience ideally STM
- Experience in the Americas Trade market is a plus.
- Excellent spoken and written English – An ability to speak additional languages is preferred.
- Strong strategic thinker who can also be hands-on when necessary
- Strong customer/key accounts relationship building expertise
- Outstanding communication skills (oral, written) e.g. The Director EMEA Trade Sales will need to present at Board level on a regular basis so they must be comfortable with this.
- Convincing negotiator with a history of sales success
- Preferably a Master's Degree in a Business or Publishing-Related subject
It’s an exciting position which may well appeal to people because:
- It’s a strategic and highly visible role with the chance to lead an international/established sales force.
- The role provides the opportunity to head up some major customer relationships.
- There are a range of career development opportunities within the business.
- There will be a broad range of opportunities to travel through work within the EMEA region and the US - For the right person, there is the potential possibility of picking up the US remit as well going forward.
The company will be attractive to candidates for some/all of the following reasons:
- A significant size international publishing business with well established client relationships
- Well structured, highly regarded and financially sound
- At the forefront in publishing creativeness, in areas such as “open access”
- A business which is goal orientated, client focussed and one where tasks get done and achieved efficiently
Please email your CV to us in the first instance if this role is of interest and appears to be suitable.