Chief Operating Officer
Salary: Circa £70,000 Base Salary + Benefits
This organisation is an internationally renowned arts charity, which was established and endowed by a leading artist to encourage appreciation of the visual arts and in particular his own sculpture. The Foundation employs in the region of 40 members of staff and operates across a wide sphere, welcoming researchers and students to the artist’s UK estate, sending exhibitions around the world, and running an Institute which has its own exhibitions and research programme. Maintaining the artist’s collections, library and archive is an important feature of its work as well. In addition, annually the charity awards approximately £1 million to a wide variety of other arts organisations.
The Foundation has a key strategic requirement to recruit a Chief Operating Officer. You will be replacing an incumbent who is due to retire over the next few months. Based near to London in Hertfordshire, you will have some UK travel and further afield if need be.
Role & Responsibilities
- Reporting to the Foundation’s Director you will play a leading role in the organisation’s Management Committee, contributing to strategic planning and overall development
- Supported by the Heads of Departments, you will lead and assist in driving forwards a major enterprise strategy, with the core objective being to raise significant additional revenue
- You will have overall responsibility for financial governance, estates, security and HR – the organisation has a wide range of assets including its financial investments, works of art, and property and so the care and protection of these is paramount
- As Secretary to the Finance Committee you will naturally be involved with financial planning, audits and setting/monitoring budgets, risk assessments, liaison with pension advisors and the provision of quarterly accounts
- From an administration perspective you will operate as a Secretary to the Board of Trustees and will be involved with activities such as managing relationships with legal advisers and maintenance of statutory records
- Finally, as Secretary to the Board of Trustees, you will compile quarterly agendas, produce a written report for Board meetings, and attend these meetings to address any issues arising
- You will need to combine a broad vision with detailed financial controls and understanding, balancing the entrepreneurial side of the role with strong governance
- You will have respect for the curatorial ambitions of the charity while maintaining a handle on costs
- The role will suit an individual who feels comfortable with working in a small village community where the role is based, i.e. someone that is aware of local sensitivities, while at the same time has the abilities to operate confidently at the centre of a highly-respected international arts organisation
- Previous financial experience at a senior level, from the business world or from an arts organisation which raises some of its income is essential
- It is presumed that relevant candidates will be chartered accountants by profession
- The wide variety of responsibilities will require clear thinking and a good sense of priorities
In the first instance please apply to the following email address with your CV and cover letter.
This job has now been successfully concluded.