Senior Executive - R&D for Energy Industry - Fast Track to MD
Salary: Commensurate with experience + Company Performance Related Bonus + 10% non-contributory pension
Purpose of the Role
A dynamic research and development company in the UK wish to recruit an experienced executive with a strong technical background who is willing and able to step up into the role of Managing Director within 2 years of appointment. Before this time, they will have a close working relationship and handover period with the existing MD before they step into a senior board level position.
The company undertakes industrial research, private and publicly funded research and development and consultancy projects and generates its own IPR which is being exploited under license in the energy sector both in the UK and Internationally.
Key Role Responsibilities:
- Responsibility for engaging new innovation funding from existing and new UK and international channels and for selling existing products and services to electricity and gas distribution and transmission system operators and their supply chains as well as future customers in these and other sectors.
- Contribute to the management of the UK centred business as well as the developing global opportunities that exist in energy distribution and transmission networks. This will include both electricity and gas and at the gas-electricity interface e.g. hydrogen economy.
- Independent business generation and existing client relationship management.
- Research and innovation direction setting with University, RTO, HMG department, Innovate UK and Energy Innovation Centre, Network Innovation Team relationship management.
- Responsibility to drive up adoption of original products by partnering and networking with Innovate UK and other innovation partners within international organisations.
- Networking, events and conferences are important in maintaining and developing multi-sector relationships.
- Typically operate across a broad range of Technology Readiness Levels from 2 to 8. The objective is to progressively shift the balance towards 6 to 9 while maintaining a strong presence in the TRL 2 to 5 space to drive the innovation chain with multi-sector exploitable outcomes.
- Strategically work with contacts to determine what clients need from the company and informing the research team accordingly.
- Capitalise on the potential of increased income from materials licensing and asset servicing and inspection alone or in partnership with other service providers such as Doble Engineering in the UK and USA and Kinectrics in Canada and North America.
- Interacting with and monitoring the research teams through team leaders.
- To develop and maintain existing supply chain partners.
- To increase and monetise the existing Intellectual Property (IP) of the company and increase the commercial value of a growing IP portfolio.
- The successful candidate will have the opportunity to launch two new business entities in this role. Including a special purpose vehicle for materials exploitation and a new service company.
- Based in the South East with UK wide business activity. However, some international travel will be required.
- An opportunity for a commercially and technically minded individual to come onboard as a Business Development Director with a view to stepping up to MD within 2 years
- A Master's or Doctorate in a physical science would be preferred and MBA optional
- Commercial and business development experience gained within the energy market
- Experience with energy networks and supply chains is important
- Entrepreneurial spirit with sound business and management acumen
Commensurate with experience + Company Performance Related Bonus + 10% non-contributory pension with the potential of share options when the candidate steps up to Managing Director.
This job has now been successfully concluded.