Head of Operations and Administration - Assistant General Secretary
Salary: £80,000 plus car
Are you ready to lead the operational success of a critical membership organisation?
The Musicians' Union is a trade union run for its 30,000 members, protecting the rights of its members and the music they create. The Union exists for all members to have professional and legal support for the protection of their source of income. It provides a range of services and support mechanisms for musicians including legal advice, insurance, career advice, lobbying and health & safety.
The Union is evolving and responding in step with the changes affecting the world of music, yet the principal reasons for its existence remains: fair treatment and reward for working musicians.
This is a unique opportunity for you to join a close-knit successful leadership team in a highly influential role responsible for developing operational and administrative strategy and leading a wide range of disciplines. Reporting to the General Secretary and as an experienced operations professional you will provide leadership at national and regional level on HR functions, membership administration, property and IT, amongst others. You will also lead and co-ordinate the activities of the six Regions.
You will support your peers and direct reports in promoting an operationally astute culture as they continue their work of evolving the organisation. This role is ideal for you as a conscientious and values driven individual who is prepared to roll up your sleeves and actively engage in the achievement of the Union’s aims and objectives.
The Assistant General Secretary role is a re-imagined post for the Musicians’ Union and you will be working closely with the General Secretary, and the Assistant General Secretary for Music Industry, as the third member of the Management Team. You will work closely with the Head of Finance who controls financial operations.
The ideal profile:
- Strong Corporate Operational experience managing a wide range of disciplines and functions
- Ability to work within a multi stakeholder structure
- Experience operating within a dispersed environment with staff based regionally
- Strength of character to advise the Executive Committee and take responsibility for actions
- Have a firm grasp of finance although a financial qualification is not a requirement as financial management is not part of the profile
- Experience of working for a not for profit organisation is not a pre-requisite but the chosen candidate will be able to identify with and thrive within the existing working culture
- A track record of continuous improvement in operations
- Strong work ethic, conscientious and self-motivated
- Demonstrable experience working autonomously and with the authority to get things done
This is a fantastic opportunity for an experienced operations specialist to make a mark on a national institution which supports a fundamentally crucial aspect of the UK economy and way of life. The impact of music across all aspects of our world is immeasurable and the protection of those who create and perform it is therefore critical to keeping that as strong as possible. Ensuring performers are paid appropriately, cuts to music education and the threat to live music venues are only a very small part of the reason the Musicians’ Union exists. This role will ensure the framework which allows musicians’ voices to be heard and protected is as strong as possible and fit for the future.
This job has now been successfully concluded.