Senior Industrial Disease Solicitor
Salary: Very Competitive - PQE Based + Car Allowance
Experienced legal executives and qualified solicitors will be considered for this position if they have the required experience of contentious multi track Industrial Disease work.
Industrial Disease specialists currently working on defendant case-loads also be considered if they are looking to make a change in their career.
A competitive basic salary is offered for the successful candidate plus car allowance and exceptional pension scheme and holiday allowance.
A very interesting opportunity to be a Senior Industrial Disease specialist within this highly regarded claimant focused firm.
Representing a range of clients who have suffered any of the following:
- Vibration injury
- Occupational deafness/NIHL
- Strain injury
- Respiratory and lung disease
- Skin disease
- Occupational cancer
A national firm with an extensive network of offices, the reputation and support network of other colleagues focusing on Industrial Disease is exceptional.
This team does not cover Asbestos claims as they have a dedicated team for those cases. However, those with experience of Asbestosis within a broader Industrial Disease practice would be welcome to apply.
Unlike many firms who are no longer focusing on Industrial Disease work or always must target new clients, this firm has an excellent existing pipeline of Industrial Disease work coming in.
Subsequently, this is an exciting opportunity for the right person to be a subject matter expert without the distraction of constant business development to ensure steady workload.
This role would be based in the Leeds office within an established and experienced team of Industrial Disease specialists. The firm would also consider someone who is willing to relocate to the area.
This firm is a claimant only firm which is instructed on much of its work by trade union bodies. The firm has a strong and well-established culture and it is important the candidate is keen to fit within it.
The firm has clear role and salary bandings which ensure a transparent career development track for those looking to progress.
This role is classed as the equivalent in many firms of a senior associate / managing associate.
The Role – Senior Industrial Disease
Manage a full caseload of:
- Cases within one or more of the specialisms listed above, including a significant proportion of more complex matters.
- The job holder will be expected to conduct and manage all aspects of their caseload. Supervision will rarely be required except in relation to the firm’s standard system, and the job holder will be required to supervise junior member of the Unit within the job holder’s specialisation area.
- The job holder will accordingly require a sound theoretical knowledge of the work and an ability to conduct cases including complex cases from beginning to end. The knowledge required to do this will normally take many years to acquire.
- The job holder will play an important role in the Unit in helping to achieve the Unit’s objectives and in fostering a team spirit. They will accept a share of responsibility for the success or failure of the Unit, and will assist with the motivation, delegation, coaching and supervision of junior team members.
- This role will have at least 1 direct report.
- The job holder should focus on establishing significant local relationships, e.g. with local/regional union officials, and assist in terms of communicating on behalf of the firm.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Significant post qualification or equivalent experience in contentious multi track case handling including advocacy and litigation experience.
- Experience of successfully mentoring, developing and supervising individuals within PI litigation
- Experience of delivering training to staff
- Established track record of excellent client care and the development of client relationships
- Whilst a significant level of experience is needed for this position and previous supervisory experience is required it is crucial that the individual has retained the responsibilities of a daily case load as well.
The ability to communicate clearly and effectively is essential, as well as:
- Proven tactical litigation skills
- Proven organisational, administrative and time management skills
- Strong supervisory skills
- Ability to analyse and disseminate information in a clear and direct way
- Understanding of relevant statutory and common law legal practice and procedure
- Ability to deliver fully against deadlines and self-monitor delivery
- Ability to prioritise
- Attention to detail
- Excellent client care skills both in person and via other mediums
- Empathy with the role of the firm as main provider of legal services to trade unions
- An ability and willingness to actively participate in the development of client relationships.
- Ability to play a key role in achieving team objectives
- Understanding of supplier agreements to allow for instructions to experts/suppliers on best terms possible
- Empathy with trade union and the Labour movement
- Driving licence
- Marketing experience
- Understanding of costs issues
This job has now been successfully concluded.