Salary: Competitive salary and benefits
Our client is a global market leader in Earth Observation and data analysis, helping businesses better manage their land-based assets. They do this through their unique landscape intelligence platform aggregating large amounts of diverse data from satellites, airborne and ground instruments, applying relevant modelling and using mapping, measuring and monitoring techniques with best-in-class technology to provide critical decision support for their customers. The business is enjoying an extended period of growth and is growing rapidly.
Reporting to the Head of Data Science, you would sit within the Data Science team which currently comprises of Scientists and Statisticians specialising in analysing data in Agriculture, Infrastructure and Forestry. This role focuses on the methods and application of appropriate analysis techniques. You would work closely with other teams including GIS analysts who implement models and methods devised by the Data Science team.
Your main responsibility would be developing new applications of machine learning, classification techniques and statistical modelling for application in EO classification. Many of these techniques need to be optimised for large data processing, so knowledge in this area is necessary. You will potentially need to be able to learn about new techniques quickly.
If you are excited by challenging, multi-disciplinary projects and can also work autonomously to achieve a defined (or sometimes undefined) aim, this role provides a stimulating technical environment working with individuals with complementary expertise to achieve development and continuous improvement in the company’s highly scientific and innovative outputs.
The successful candidate must be eligible to work in the UK. Applications from EU citizens are welcome.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Understanding, selecting, applying, adapting and coding of statistical models and machine learning algorithms used in core business activities
- Optimising code to apply models to large amounts of data
- Supporting business units in identifying and responding to specialist client requirements by providing adhoc data analysis/statistical advice and discussions with scientists, GIS experts and non-technical audiences
- Development of coding for appropriate statistical and analysis techniques to respond to these client requirements
- Sourcing, manipulation and analysis of data for research
- Applying, improving and promoting formal documentation, testing and validation protocols
- Appropriate mathematical, statistical or computer science degree, with some expertise in all three areas
- Strong experience of optimisation of code for large data, statistical modelling and machine learning algorithms
- Excellent programming skills in modelling language(s); preferably R then Python
- Ability to lead a team through a large technical product development task, or work autonomously on a small product development task as appropriate – understanding the aim and output, identifying tasks and managing the process to completion
- Good understanding of applied statistics skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, in particular Excel
- Strong written and verbal skills
- Highly organised and able to deal with multiple requests for help and ongoing tasks
This job has now been successfully concluded.