Big Data Engineer
Our client helps businesses better manage their land-based assets by making use of the increasingly sophisticated but complex array of Earth Observation (EO) imagery and data available. They do this through their unique landscape intelligence platform aggregating large amounts of diverse data from satellites, airborne and ground instruments, applying relevant modelling and using mapping, measuring and monitoring techniques with best-in-class technology to provide critical decision support for their customers. The business is enjoying an extended period of growth and success and is one of the international market leaders in their field.
Our client is looking to recruit a new Geospatial Data Engineer to join their Geospatial team. The role will involve the implementation of big data processing and analysis techniques for the automation of geospatial data products.
The role will suit a confident, team-orientated individual with proven ability to meet challenging deadlines within a dynamic environment. The ideal individual for this role should have a degree in a computer science related subject, and either an MSc in a geospatial discipline, or have equivalent working experience in this area. Experience with environmental data is an advantage but, experience within other industries will be considered as long as the individual can demonstrate their knowledge in geospatial information.
The successful candidate must be eligible to work in the UK and be able to commute to the office.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Designing, installing and configuring a big data geospatial framework
- Implement machine learning, stream processing and graph processing applications
- Supporting business units in identifying and responding to specialist requirements by providing advice on big data processing, storage and manipulation in discussion with scientists and GIS experts
- Development of code for appropriate big data techniques to respond to these requirements
- Scope out and develop new methods and technologies for speeding up processing within current products and datasets
- A computer science or geospatial degree with appropriate commercial experience.
- Experience with implementing big data geospatial frameworks, such as Hadoop or Apache Spark
- Experience with geospatial database design and development
- Excellent experience with programming languages such as Python, Java, Scala, C/C++
- Strong experience in large data processing and manipulation, in particular with geospatial datasets
- Firm understanding of GIS and EO concepts, such as projections, data management, formats and metadata
- Strong written and verbal skills
- Ability to work autonomously in planning your own work and within a team environment
Our client is a fast growth, successful and well-respected business. This is a particularly exciting time for the business as it continues to build on its success and further develop its capabilities, services and market diversification.
The successful candidate will enjoy a stimulating and rewarding role with a genuine opportunity for career progression.
This job has now been successfully concluded.