Head of Commercial
Salary: Executive package
Our client has a very successful track record in the provision of energy solutions to the public sector and is undergoing an exciting period of further growth and opportunity. The company is investing in its future and development of new waste to energy infrastructure.
The Head of Commercial will be a valuable addition to the executive management team. The successful candidate will play a key role in optimising the financial performance of the operations. Reporting to the COO the role will engage and negotiate with potential new customers and partners with a view to securing new commercially viable projects long term. This will be in addition to developing and maintaining professional relationships with existing clients to support the business in achieving turnover and budgetary targets.
The range of responsibilities will vary from leading on ad hoc tenders to be the key contact on a large 15 year £multi-million bid.
The Head of Commercial will also have responsibility for procurement and supply chain from strategic sourcing to line side delivery of materials/services. The successful appointee will be responsible for assessing the reliability and robustness of existing supply chains, suppliers and logistics, developing agreements and procedures currently in place.
Responsibilities will include:
- Managing and negotiating commercially successful contracts Dealing with procurement, planners, sub-contractors, tier one providers
- Preparation of tenders through close liaison with the Senior Management Complete surveys and produce pricing documents and contract terms
- Work closely with the operations team; ensure optimum delivery of the daily targets whilst exercising control of costs, procurement and management of the supply chain
- Responsibility for ensuring risk is managed and contractual issues are looked after in the company’s best interest
- Ensure successful and timely preparation and agreement of final accounts
- Dispute resolution/settlement of contractual claims
- Keeping the Board of Directors informed of market opportunities and business development activities
- Taking a proactive approach to continuous improvement and innovation in all aspects of the job Assisting with the introduction and development of information technology/management systems to optimize and improve working practices and procedures and assist in training others in the use of these systems
- Deliver tangible and validated financial benefits to the business from strategic sourcing activity, contractual negotiations and post contract management
- Ensuring that duties and responsibilities are carried out in accordance with agreed Policy and Procedures, giving regard to policy commitments to efficient service provision, promotion of Equal Opportunities and Diversity, Corporate Social Responsibility and good employee relations
- Provide in depth and timely management commentary on key risks and issues as they emerge and maintain the appropriate risk controls and mitigating actions to resolve
Background and Experience
Preferably educated to degree level in a business or commercial related discipline. MBA level or equivalent preferred.
- Has well developed commercial management experience of local authority procurement
- Experience of working in the private sector successfully delivering public sector infrastructure development. This could include working on developments of roads, airports, retail parks. So, procuring wide range of services and dealing with local authorities.
- The candidate’s background could be procurement, operational or finance
- Proven leadership experience within a supply chain/procurement leadership role
- Strategic outlook
- Strong project management and project delivery capabilities
- Credibility and authority to provide strong leadership
- Proven strategic skills to assess priorities, developing and implementing effective long-term plans Ability to define and implement process improvement strategies
- Good CRM skills
Our client is a successful and well-respected business enjoying an exciting period of growth and transformation.
This is a particularly exciting time for the business as it continues to build on its success and its growth. There are significant opportunities for our client to further develop its capabilities, services and continue to lead in its marketplace.
This appointment will enjoy significant levels of autonomy and responsibility. The successful appointee will lead the commercial function in the business with the support of the senior management team. He/she will play a key part in the commercial and financial performance of the business.
The successful candidate will enjoy a stimulating and rewarding high profile role within a genuinely exciting and respected business.
This job has now been successfully concluded.