Our client helps businesses better manage their land-based assets by making use of the increasingly sophisticated but complex array of Earth Observation (EO) imagery and data available. They do this through their unique landscape intelligence platform aggregating large amounts of diverse data from satellites, airborne and ground instruments, applying relevant modelling and using mapping, measuring and monitoring techniques with best-in-class technology to provide critical decision support for their customers. The business is enjoying an extended period of growth and success and is one of the international market leaders in their field.
Reporting to the Head of Data Science, you would sit within the Data Science team alongside Scientists specialising in analysing data in Agriculture, Water and Environmental Science, and a Statistician. This new Data Science role is unique in that it will focus on the methods and application of appropriate data mining, processing and classification techniques. Like our other scientists, however, you would be solely responsible for your area of specialism. You would work closely with other teams including GIS analysts who implement models and methods devised by the Data Science team.
Your main responsibilities will be developing new applications of machine learning and classification techniques and combinations of techniques for application in EO classification, alongside streamlining our data processing requirements and systems. As such you will potentially need to be able to learn about new techniques quickly.
This role provides a stimulating technical environment working with individuals with focused roles and separate expertise to achieve development and continuous improvement in company’s highly scientific outputs. It also provides time and opportunity to develop your own skills in interesting relevant areas.
The successful candidate must be eligible to work in the UK and be able to commute to the office. Applications from EU citizens are welcome.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Understanding, selecting, applying, adapting and coding of classification and regression models used in core business activities
- Supporting business units in identifying and responding to specialist client requirements by providing adhoc advice on big data processing, storage and manipulation in discussion with scientists and GIS experts
- Development of coding for appropriate big data techniques to respond to these client requirements
- Scope out and develop new methods for speeding up processing within current products and datasets
- Sourcing, manipulation and analysis of data for research
- Appropriate mathematical, statistical or computer science degree, with some expertise in all three areas
- Strong experience of optimisation, classification and machine learning techniques such as Random Forests, SVM and Probabilistic methods
- Excellent programming skills in language(s) such as R, Python, Java, C/C++
- Strong written and verbal skills
- Highly organised and able to deal with multiple requests for help and ongoing tasks
- Ability to work autonomously in planning your own work and within a team environment
Our client is a fast growth, successful and well-respected business. This is a particularly exciting time for the business as it continues to build on its success and further develop its capabilities, services and market diversification.
The successful candidate will enjoy a stimulating and rewarding role with a genuine opportunity for career progression.
This job has now been successfully concluded.