Head of Marketing
Salary: Excellent package
Our client is a well known and respected major educational establishment in the West Midlands.
This is an exciting new role reporting directly to the CEO. This key appointment will work in close collaboration with the CEO who is keenly aware of the value of an effective engagement marketing and sales function.
This role is a key senior executive post within the organisation. Our client is ambitious to grow its student numbers, particularly in its core 16-18 school leaver market, apprenticeships and higher education.
The role will review and develop the marketing and engagement, raising the profile of the college and developing relationships with key stakeholders such as schools, local authorities, local strategic bodies and working in partnership with the senior executive responsible for apprenticeships with employers.
The key focus of the post is to increase student numbers with a blended understanding of promotional impact of marketing along with experience of managing sales. Our client’s business is people centred with their ‘customers’ being potential students, many of them under 16, as their target audience.
The Government has a key focus in helping developing education routes that are relevant to employment and our client has a strong emphasis on this and this person will work with colleagues to secure contacts leading to effective and high quality work placements.
They will also have a leadership presence in the organisation, their leaders being both academic staff and non-academic; our client has an open style and would expect the appointee to be able to talk to students and, as appropriate, challenge behaviour. They must be able to work in a lively environment.
They will be a member of a small leadership team and as knowledge increases will be encouraged to contribute views to wider college issues and strategy. At the same time the person will be target driven and able to translate ideas and activities into measurable outcomes.
They will be expected to lead on events, ensure their effective promotion and organisation and will need to lead by example being present and helping prospective students at open evenings.
The post-holder will develop creative new ways of connecting our client to its client base, particularly young people deciding on options after leaving school. They must have ideas on how to reach this target audience. Creativity alone is not enough and they must have a clear eye on how to convert connection and communication with potential students into actual increased student numbers and business. Our client wishes to review effectiveness of this along with other communication media and how they can improve conversion rates from enquiry, through enrolled and funded student.
They recruit using a variety of media including a digital presence through social media, search engines, website. Most of their applications are on line.
The post-holder will be responsible for the customer journey from applying, meeting staff for interview for a place, keep-warm strategies for potential students, enrollment processes. As part of this role the post-holder will also manage a new role of head of customer services to ensure exceptional front of house and facilities.
The post-holder will also be tasked with raising the profile of the College with stakeholders and key decision makers.
The person appointed will also be responsible for managing a significant budget and the development of indicators demonstrating a return on the College investment.
- To increase applicant numbers for school leavers. To review current marketing plans with a view to improving effectiveness. Examine the current staffing and structures to evaluate effectiveness and suggest any changes. To take a lead in improving promotional events
- To examine the customer journey and look at potential improvements to increase conversion rates
Key Activities of the Role:
- To promote the business and drive an increase in learner numbers across a spectrum of delivery areas including: school leavers, apprentices, commercial courses, higher education, adult education and the multi academy trust. To act as a key ambassador making connections to stakeholders and improving our client's image. To train and support other managers in engagement of partners. To develop a clear marketing strategy and communicate this to colleagues
- To lead the marketing activities of the organisation including campaign design, communication channels, marketing collateral production including prospectus, brochures and other media
- To lead the school liaison team and develop effective school partnerships and to extend the school network. To lead on organising college events, e.g. open evenings and as appropriate act as a focal point of contact. To manage the sales team and employer business to business apprentice work working closely with the organisation's apprentice delivery unit. To develop the call/contact centre .To advise on implementing a contact management system. To organise the application and interview process and ‘keep-warm' strategies. To lead and manage staff in the market and sales areas. To be a member of the Executive and contribute to the wider leadership
Candidates will have a broad level of marketing expertise with the gravitas and ability to confidently promote our client.
The person appointed will be ambitious and keen to progress their career having established a track record but ready for a challenge in a senior executive role to develop and improve the marketing and play a key role in achieving its growth ambition.
The person appointed will need to be able to work at pace and quickly translate ideas into actions and obtain results. The person appointed will be able to quickly establish relationships and assimilate information about and become known to colleagues and establish a rapport with the curriculum leadership teams. The appointee will need to be naturally inquisitive in seeking out information and eager to quickly gain an understanding of our business.
The person appointed will need to blend the ability to develop a clear strategy with a hands-on operational approach and must be a hugely enthusiastic person with enormous energy; an outgoing and effective communicator who is comfortable talking to a range of people from school pupils through to CEOs.
They must be comfortable being ‘front of house’ as well as planning and organising behind the scenes. They must have experience in a people centred business and our client welcomes applications from the commercial world. They will advise on customer perceptions and work closely with colleagues to improve the quality of what our client does.
The post-holder will therefore need to be target driven with the ability to measure impact of sales campaigns and communication channels.
The post-holder will also need good analytical abilities and strong intellect. They will be able to understand and use data to develop campaigns and advise on development of new products or sectors. They will need to be effective at quickly spotting new opportunities and advising colleagues on their development.
It would be highly desirable for the appointed person to have good knowledge of Birmingham and the Black Country - culture, demography etc. Possibly with contacts in key bodies e.g. Councils, LEP, industry, media, strategic bodies.
- Educated to degree level or equivalent. A qualification in marketing. Ongoing CPD. A successful and demonstrable track record of developing marketing strategy and operational plans in a large company setting
- Able to demonstrate success of increasing turnover and customer satisfaction
- A background in a people based industry or further education. Excellent understanding of social media communication and development of content and material. Ability to demonstrate market research abilities. Demonstrate the ability to measure marketing impact through KPI’s and return on £ spent. Experience of successfully managing sales and marketing teams to deliver increased sales. Experience of organising showcase events and generating attendance
Our client is a dynamic and well respected educational organisation enjoying an exciting period of transformation and growth.
This is a particularly exciting time for our client as it continues to build on its success and its growth. There are significant opportunities for the organisation to further develop its reputation, services and continue to lead in its sector.
This appointment will enjoy significant levels of autonomy and responsibility. The successful appointee will be part of the senior management team, be responsible for marketing, sales and engagement, making a significant contribution to the performance of the organisation.
The successful candidate will enjoy a stimulating and rewarding high profile role within a genuinely exciting and respected organisation.
This job has now been successfully concluded.