Head of Research & Development
Eppendorf is a leading life science company that develops and sells instruments, and services for liquid, sample, and cell handling in laboratories worldwide. The group’s product range is broad and automated pipetting systems, dispensers, centrifuges, mixers, spectrometers, and DNA amplification equipment as well as ultra-low temperature freezers, fermentors, bioreactors, CO2incubators, shakers, and cell manipulation systems. Eppendorf products are broadly used in academic and commercial research laboratories as well as the chemical and food industries.
In 2007 the Group acquired US based New Brunswick Scientific which develop and manufacture of a range of life science equipment including a highly regarded portfolio of ultra low temperature freezers. With design and manufacturing based in the UK, they continue to invest in their freezer product range to ensure they remain competitive while adhering to changing environmental legislation.
Production as well as R&D investment is increasing with support from the Group – the R&D budget has increased by 40% over the last few years. Having recently also increased manufacturing capacity by 40% there is an increasing demand to fully utilise this capacity. Rigorous research and development activity therefore is critical to ensuring the long term development of technology and products and keeping Eppendorf CryoTech at the forefront of their field.
The individual will take full responsibility for co-ordinating and driving the R&D activity within CryoTech. This will involve management, hands on application and innovation.
• Responsible to the Managing Director for the Research & Development functions
• Responsible for continuous innovation and technology development
• Responsible for both developing technology links within the Eppendorf organisation and with outside agencies and academia
• Work closely with Product Management to understand and drive forward with current New Product Development 5 year plan
• Develop R&D department with a technical and management capability which is able to meet the new product development plan
• Plan, review and agree technical requirement and timescale milestones for each of the projects and provide the necessary management motivation to ensure success
• Have at least 10 years successful experience in the development of micro-processor controlled equipment, at least five years of which in a senior project management role or equivalent
A degree or equivalent in an Engineering discipline and a higher degree or equivalent in an appropriate discipline
• Hands-on experience of developing products with temperature or power control requirements
• ERP/MRP user experience, 3-D CAD user experience
• Be an excellent communicator and motivator. Able to understand, simplify and explain complicated technical issues both for board-level and shop-floor understanding
• A team orientated professional with both the experience and ability to work and drive towards common company goals
• A successful networker with the ability to search out and develop relationships with key world-class centres of technical excellence
Eppendorf CryoTech is a highly successful, well respected and market leading business. The quality of product and service has and continues to ensure its position within the life sciences field. Being well established and financially robust, they are very well positioned to grow much further.
This is a particularly exciting time for the business as it continues to build on its success and further develop its capabilities and diversification. The Head of R&D will enjoy significant levels of autonomy and the appointee will contribute to the ongoing success of the business.
The successful candidate will enjoy a stimulating and rewarding high profile role with
This job has now been successfully concluded.