Procurement Manager (Public Sector)
Our client is a private, UK government-funded organisation, who provides computer network and related collaborative services to UK research and education. There is a requirement for an experienced Procurement Manager, ideally with experience within both the public and private sector to join the team and take on the day to day running of projects and the team.
The Procurement Manager will provide services both to individual Purchasers in the company, and also become part of the management framework so that best commercial practice becomes further embedded in all procurement. Embedding greater commercial skills and expertise within those directorates will be essential.
Specific duties may vary from time to time without changing the general character of the duties or level of responsibility entailed.
The Procurement Manager will be an integral part of each procurement initiative, ensuring the procurement process delivers an end contract that complies with internal company policies and guidelines, the Public Contracts Regulations and delivers best value for its stakeholders.
- To assist in the production of procurement strategies for the major items of spend: typically multi-year contracts of value exceeding £1 million, and to ensure that a procurement commences only with a suitable strategy in place. To assist in and ensure the maintenance of that strategy throughout the procurement process.
- To ensure that the commercial aspects of a procurement are handled in such a way as to derive a most economically advantageous outcome, by assisting the Purchaser in this process. To “sign off” at the end of a procurement that this has been achieved in line with company best practice.
- To act as deputy in the Head of Procurement’s absence including taking on full responsible for the work of the team, being accountable for procurement process and ensuring that any challenges to the outcome of a procurement activity would not be successful.
- To perform these tasks in the growing number of aggregated and shared-services procurements being undertaken by the Group. For example, in regional-network procurements where infrastructure is being procured in partnership with other public-sector bodies and the company may or may not be the Contracting Authority.
- To embed these practices in the management framework, along with appropriate compliance management.
- To assist in developing individual managers to have the appropriate competencies in these areas. Working with the Head of Procurement, to develop the Procurement Team’s competencies and structure to provide these services.
- A confident, commercial and “can do” approach
- Ability to develop and maintain good working relationships within all directorates of the Group
- A willingness to work with individual contract, project, product and service managers to achieve the outcomes that they need to meet service goals will be essential.
Qualifications and Experience
- A relevant qualification in Commercial Management and/or Procurement or related discipline, for example, a MBA or CIPS membership
- Significant broad commercial experience with a track record of skilled negotiation
- Relevant procurement experience including an excellent working knowledge of the EU procurement directives and experience of production of debrief material for suppliers and dealing with any subsequence questioning by them
- Experience of working in a technology/telecommunications environment will be particularly beneficial.
- Knowledge/experience of structuring and managing large multi-year contracts
- Experience of developing procurement strategies for complex procurement projects
- Experience of the competitive dialogue procedure will be beneficial
Job Ref No: JW-JT
This job has now been successfully concluded.