Programme Director (12-month Fixed Term Contract)
Our client operates as an education charity that works in partnership with the research and education sectors creating and providing agile digital services for innovative and competitive advantage.
As the UK’s expert on digital technology for all post-16 education and research our client innovates for the sector while driving down costs through shared services and digital content. They want to help those working in education and research evolve and embrace new and better ways of working through digital technology.
The organisation knows what matters to people in education and research today and for the future, and works with customers to tackle those challenges.
The Programme Director will be responsible for overseeing the delivery of a number of transformational change projects across a portfolio that will have interdependencies across the organisation. Each individual project within the programme will have its own project manager/director, and a close and effective collaborative working relationship with those colleagues will therefore be required.
The Programme Director role will ensure that all projects within the transformational programme are resourced appropriately and have clear, consistent and fit for purpose project documentation to ensure they produce the required deliverables within the agreed defines of quality, time and budget. The Programme Director will ensure that all dependencies and risks are identified and reported on to facilitate full realisation of the benefits defined in the business cases. The role will also be responsible for critical path analysis.
The programme will include projects that are highly complex in nature and will have involvement across an extensive range of stakeholders including a range of organisations and services. The role is also responsible for advocating the programmes to senior executives to secure all programme related resources.
Examples of the projects within the change programme are:
- Implementation of a new approach to customer engagement
- Delivery of information, systems and processes to demonstrate customer impact
- Business modelling to determine optimum approach for customers and future sustainability
- Integration of all parts of the business to ensure a seamless service to our customers
To be successful the Programme Director will be required to:
- Shape and manage the overall programme plan across the projects / work streams, associated systems and process dependencies in the organisation, as well as aspects of change management activities required for the success of the Programme
- Own the quality and success measures of the Programme and be directly responsible for quality assurance of all work streams
- Apply and deliver appropriate programme management disciplines to ensure synchronicity of work-streams
- Act as the key owner and co-ordinator of communication and stakeholder management milestones, working with the communications team as necessary
- Determine and apply appropriate standards and methods to identify, measure, and minimise risk proactively and maximise the achievement of agreed deliverables by measuring threats and maximising opportunities
- Determining the programme duration when activities and events are planned to happen, including the identification of activity and interdependencies
- Receive, review and submit detailed reports on the programme; This includes, but is not limited to, appraising options, budget co-ordination and management, risk management, programme briefs, formal reporting on progress/updates and stakeholder communications
- Ensure regular dialogue with project directors/managers including establishing a common approach to issues that arise, problem solving, ensuring that decisions are made in a timely manner and controlling changes following approval
- Project manage one or more of the activities within the overall programme as necessary
- Develop relevant performance indicators to measure and match the alignment of activity against strategic objectives
Skills, knowledge & experience:
The interim post-holder will be expected to have:
- A track record of success in running complex multiple, multifaceted change programmes and portfolios
- Experience of working with multi-disciplinary teams
- Experience of estimating costs, the management of achievements and forecast costs against budget
- Effective networking and influencing skills, including a successful track record of negotiation, establishing, and influencing and brokering relationships at all levels (including stakeholders within and outside of the Programme)
- Strong communication skills, with the ability to write reports, correspondence and deliver presentations to a high standard
- Evidence of a track record of successful project and contract management at a senior level with a proven ability to manage multiple tasks, projects, and priorities
- Flexibility to travel as required and to meet the demands of the role
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Microsoft project methodologies/tools
- PRINCE or another relevant Project Management qualification
- Programme Management qualification
This job has now been successfully concluded.