Independent Chair of the Board (Housing/Social Care)
Salary: Competitive Day Rate + Expenses
The Central Bedfordshire Group
Central Bedfordshire Council recently incorporated a group of companies which entail an overarching holding company, The Central Bedfordshire Group (TCBG) and two wholly owned subsidiary companies which includes an exciting housing development business called New Vista Homes (NVH) and a brand new care provision organisation with fantastic growth potential called Care is Central (CiC).
The TCBG Board Directors are now delighted to appoint an Independent Chair to help them oversee the interesting mix of Group business activities.
Independent Chair – The Requirement
The Independent Chair will head a co-terminus Board which will oversee the three companies within the Group (TCBG, NVH and CiC). It is anticipated that the Chair will work and be remunerated for three to four days per month initially.
The purpose of this role is to:
- Help drive forward the Group businesses, assisting with ensuring that relevant activities are delivered at pace
- Chairing the Board that oversees the long-term strategic direction and financial matters in support of the Business Plan
- Ensure that the Board fulfils its duties and responsibilities for the proper governance of the organisation including compliance and monitoring risk
- Be involved with an effective plan and budget, ensuring performance is monitored and managed through internal controls and delegation
- Help to ensure the approval of key policies, to allow the organisation to achieve its objectives
- Play a crucial part in harnessing, developing and building the unique relationship with the Council
The right appointment will be a key determinant to the success of the Group businesses, as the person will play a key guidance role within areas such as finance, strategy, commercials, policy, compliance and governance.
Experience Needed – Core Requirements
Suitable candidates for this post will have proven track records of operating as Chairs, with preferably mixed portfolio experience across housing and social care companies. Candidates will have an appreciation for the private and public sectors and perhaps expertise of working with political orientated organisations. Candidates will have Chair experience of complex organisations at Board level in at least one of the following areas:
- Financial management, Performance management, Risk management, Strategic leadership or Policy formulation
Candidates will have strong and proven backgrounds in working with Boards to enhance corporate governance and compliance levels as well as reducing unnecessary risk. They will be very used to working with budgets and liaising with senior leadership teams to help ensure successful business plans are on track and implemented. While a breadth of career experience is required, it will be advantageous if candidates have had previous experience of working within the housing, care homes, wider health market or similar industries.
Synergy with the values of this Group and the companies is imperative. Suitable candidates will display the following:
- Confident, engaging, collaborative, positive with good influencing skills
- Committed, able to work at pace and energetic
- Openness, selfless and a good listener – excellent communicator (Oral & Written)
- Detailed, analytical and structured with strong commercial abilities
- A proven ability to develop and grow positive relationships with stakeholders
- Demonstrable experience of operating with the highest level of professionalism and personal integrity
- The chance to be part of a Group that is going to make a really positive difference to the Central Bedfordshire landscape, in terms of improving housing and innovative care provision as well as the quality of life for many residents
- An interesting and varied role which will make a difference to strategy, governance, compliance and policy improvements within these companies
- The chance to make a significant contribution to the direction of these businesses
If you believe that you can demonstrate the above requirements and this role is suitable and of interest, please contact George Woodward firstname.lastname@example.org of Novo Executive Search, our retained recruitment partner who is handling this assignment for us. The closing date for applications is Friday 9th April 2021.
Job Ref No: ICB GW 03/21