Senior Manager - Local Government
Salary: Competitive salary and the highly-valued Local Government Pension Scheme
Situated in the beautiful surroundings of North Somerset, we are working with our client to appoint a new Town Clerk.
Becoming a Town Clerk is one of the most rewarding jobs in a local community - a competent Clerk underpins a good Council. The role of Clerk is to ensure that the Council as a whole conducts its business properly and to provide independent, objective and professional advice and support.
The Council would consider an experienced Town Clerk or candidate from another sector with the right skills and experience for this role. Candidates who are not existing Town Clerks are likely to be from accountancy, law, planning, military or local government.
The town boasts both a coastal and countryside setting, providing magnificent views of the Severn Estuary and the Welsh coastline, gently rolling hills, green open spaces and extensive woodland.
To actively promote and implement the Council’s policies. To act as the Council’s Proper Officer and Responsible Officer to ensure that the administration and management of the Council’s affairs, projects and functions are carried out effectively and in accordance with statutory and other provisions. The Town Clerk is responsible for policy and legal advice to the Council, for the efficient financial administration of the Council and for supporting the administration and management of the Council’s services, forward planning, projects and affairs.
A forward thinking and proactive person who has strong leadership skills, can think strategically and has the ability to form productive relationships and partnerships; a senior manager with significant experience in a similar environment; an excellent communicator, diplomat, persuader and negotiator. Our ideal candidate will possess a strong academic background (this could be in law, accountancy, planning or local government).
Skills & Experience:
- Minimum two years’ experience in a senior management role
- Experience of local government structure, law, planning and finance
- Experience of policy development and review
- Experience of managing within a committee-based organisation
- Experience of events management (desirable)
- Experience of asset management Working knowledge of health and safety
- Experience of obtaining funding from outside bodies (desirable)
- Experience of working with the media
- Experience of developing productive partnerships with other organisations
- Significant experience in local government (desirable)
- Competent user of standard IT software
- Track record of competently overseeing and reporting all finance matters
- The ability to provide the full range of written material using clear, concise and grammatically correct English
Candidates are also required to have a Certificate in Local Council Administration or be prepared to achieve this
This is a particularly exciting time for the Council as it continues to build on the town’s success and growth. There are significant opportunities for the Council to develop its reputation, services and commitment to protecting the quality of life, environment and economic well-being of the community.
In return they can offer a competitive salary, the highly-valued Local Government Pension Scheme, some flexibility in working hours to compensate for evening meetings and life in the beautiful surroundings of North Somerset.
Job Ref No: SM TC 10/18