Managing Director - Specialist Packaging Manufacturer
Salary: Base Salary £150,000 + Bonus + Other Benefits
Our client is a leading European manufacturer of specialised packaging that supplies into the food manufacturing, catering and fresh produce sectors. The business also offers cutting-edge sealing equipment and high-performance distribution trolleys, along with adapted technical packaging products. The UK operation is part of a group of successful subsidiaries throughout Europe that are fast growing.
The company is looking to appoint an experienced Managing Director in the UK to oversee two established and well-run production sites that are based in the West Country, UK. The organisation is looking to further grow revenues from the two sites and therefore the person chosen must have gravitas, be commercially focused and customer facing with a successful track record in running P&L’s profitably, ideally within the packaging and/or related industries.
Core Role & Responsibilities:
- Gain an immediate understanding of current UK performance including trading patterns with the major customers and the current market dynamics. Build a clear picture of the competitive landscape and the immediate opportunities and threats.
- Provide inspirational leadership and motivate the team to devise and deliver against ambitious targets. Develop a collaborative working style between functions and where relevant between the sites. Introduce modern and simplified ways of working and effective processes. Further encourage an autonomous, accountable and entrepreneurial approach amongst the senior leadership.
- Develop and deliver an ambitious sustainable growth strategy in line with the Group’s expectations and plans.
- Ensure that innovation is proactive and becomes the cornerstone of the success in the UK markets. Be proactive in the market with new development and new concepts which attract, excite and retain customers.
- Look to provide representation on key industry specific forums, to help raise awareness of the company, brand and success.
- Strive to achieve excellence in customer development ensuring that initiatives are aligned including CSR, Quality, R&D, Recycling etc.
- Leverage Group capability in R&D and Innovation in product and service and ensure that best practice is promoted and shared internationally. Collaborate with cross border sales opportunities with colleagues and where relevant with customers.
Expertise & Track Record Needed:
- A successful track record of growing commercial operations that have been run profitably, ideally plastics packaging industry businesses or companies within the ‘ready meal’ marketplaces.
- Significant experience of leadership roles within highly competitive, price led environment businesses that are in or closely aligned to the UK Food sector.
- Preferably, a proven Managing Director background of leading a multi-functional senior team including manufacturing in a similar sized multi-site business.
- A mature commercial operator – will have excellent negotiation skills and be able to work autonomously and to discern the value of sales and distribution contracts, to deliver a consistent growth in profit and minimise risk.
- Gravitas & Credibility – an effective figure-head who builds excellent relationships externally and creates followership internally. Pragmatic, able to coach and mentor but also willing to be hands on and “to do”. Comfortable in an international reporting structure and presenting at Board level.
- Preferred overall career backgrounds would include experience within packaging, film, seal technology or food manufacturing companies – Understanding the environment of working with the large UK grocery retailers is very desirable.
- A good financial background is essential.
- A highly autonomous Managing Director role with exciting challenges.
- A financially stable and profitable Group business.
- A growth opportunity to lead this successful packaging business in the South West.
- A post that commands an excellent remuneration package.
If this role is of interest, please email your CV to George Woodward from Novo Executive Search. We will respond to candidates with the specific relevant industry experience promptly.
Job Ref No: GWMD Packaging