Estimating and Quantity Surveying Director
Salary: Excellent package to attract the best
With a successful history our client is a well-respected regional building contractor. They provide exceptional new homes, renovation and extensions, design & build, commercial construction, public and social housing.
As a renowned, award-wining building company, our client blends the traditions and values of heritage craftsmanship with fresh design and contemporary skills, offering bespoke, high specification, individual building services.
This is a particularly exciting time for the business as it continues to build on its success. There are significant opportunities for the business to further develop its capabilities, services and continue to lead in its marketplace.
For succession planning the Board is looking to appoint someone to ultimately take over from an existing Director. This key appointment of an Estimating and Quantity Surveying Director will work in a hand over period. The length of this handover period will depend on the individual candidate appointed.
- To manage the estimating and QS resources including people, finance and processes in the business
- To oversee and assist in the development of revenue budgets and monthly reporting on actual performance and against budget
- Ensure the department performs effectively and to a high standard complying with all office procedures
- To accurately estimate the costs of projects to maximise the order pipeline and its conversion into market share, revenue and operating profit within the business
- To peruse tender opportunities, balancing resource, capability, need and expectation
- To maintain clarity for tender adjudication, profit opportunity and value engineering
- To recognise contractual, financial, technical and operational risks and to find opportunities to minimise risk and maximise gross profit
- To lead team submissions for larger PQQ, frameworks and tenders
- To actively price projects in accordance to best practices
- To support the process of assessing, preparing (including post-tender activities), validating, adjudication and final submission of tenders on time and to the highest quality
- To apply innovative thinking for tender and framework advantage
- Promote and encourage innovation and performance of the estimating and bid team
- To maintain and strive for maximum profitability by optimising contract opportunities and reducing cost alongside productivity
- To encourage timely valuation, cost reconciliation and final accounts
- Ensure the business is not left exposed contractually
- To investigate, assist and aid resolve on technical and legal matter relating to contract or work issue
- Assist with the archive and recording of file locations for past projects and tenders, reviewing for destroy dates
- To negotiate with suppliers and subcontractors
- To recruit staffing for the department, identifying personnel development, training and lead by example by setting standards and work effort
- To work proactively with the customer base, to offer service and value for money
- To take an overview of Health & Safety Management, the accident register which is currently maintained by this role and to be ready to question and investigate any incidents
- With a healthy experience of construction technique and Contract Awareness to assist in problem resolution
- To attend and participate in management meetings across all departments
- To represent the business at the NFS, the SJCC, Eastern Building Federation and the NBSG meetings in Company name or as an individual
- To assist in marketing and publicity
Candidates will have proven Senior Management or Director level experience in Estimating and Quantity Surveying, with the appropriate training and qualifications. Experience will have been gained in contracting or potentially in a related ‘built environment’ consulting practice environment.
There is flexibility and an open mind to specific contracting experience and that could include: general building contracting, housebuilding, civil contracting, possibly M&E contracting. There is also flexibility regards to size of business (with a regional focus) and consider comparable SME contractors.
We could consider at relevant estimating/QS candidates with consulting building experience, such as Cost and Project Management consultancies or multi-disciplinary consultancies.
Our client is a successful and well-respected business enjoying an exciting period of opportunity and growth. The business is a dynamic, well established business and enjoys all the benefits that this provides.
This is a particularly exciting time for the business as it continues to build on its success and growth. There are significant opportunities for the company to further develop its capabilities, services and continue to lead in the marketplace.
This appointment will enjoy significant levels of autonomy and responsibility. The successful appointee will lead the Estimating and Quantity Surveying teams and with the support of the senior management team, be responsible for the commercial and operational success of the business, making a significant contribution to the performance of the business.
The successful candidate will enjoy a stimulating and rewarding high profile role within a genuinely exciting and respected business.
This job has now been successfully concluded.